Monday, February 21, 2005

Global Warming wanderings

Well, I hadn't done anything with this blog, then I had this thread going on in alt.support.attn-deficit about global warming, in which I finally nailed down why I object to the hype surrounding it.

It's not that I don't want pollution controlled, I want that with all my heart. What I don't want is for people to tie 'global warming' to the fight against pollution, because I'm afraid when they finally figure out that the two have little to do with each other the whole environmental movement will lose credibility.

Why don't I believe the hype? Because first off the popular press is running around blowing their totally myopic horns on the issue. They won't report the dissenting viewpoints of scientists who see global warming as a natural cycle of the earth, on geologic terms, not on human terms. I believe the scientists over at Harvard rather than the talking heads on TV (there are many other scientists who hold similar views). We have been around for such a short time, geologically speaking, but being humans, humans who think they're the pinnacle of evolution with all the skills and all the answers, we just can't imagine that our impact here on the earth is really little more than ants scurrying around. I want to understand more about solar weather, how that affects us, and really understand the geologic cycles before I jump on the global warming bandwagon (I doubt I'll ever jump on it).

None of which is meant to belittle our responsibilities towards the earth, the only home we know (and are likely to know). We need to stop pollution because it's poisoning our home! The environmental sickness is affecting us, our children, the animals we share this planet with. We need to raise our food in an environmentally responsible way, we need our businesses to build into their bottom line environmental responsibility, we need our government to be the earth's stewards, that will make them our stewards, as it should be. I don't want much, do I?

A fellow Pantheist posted a great article on environmental responsibility benefiting the bottom line of businesses, you can find it here. Now if we could just get all of the big business leaders here in the US to pay attention, instead of inflating their own salaries...............

No comments: